This white wooden building, built in the Swiss style was meant to cover the springs only for a few years. But since it was standing above the Market and the Charles IV Springs for more than a hundred years, the town decided for its preservation and reconstruction. Like many other buildings in Karlovy Vary, the Market Colonnade comes from the workshop of the Viennese architects Fellner and Helmer.
The Colonnade is covered by the gabled roof and it is surrounded by wooden walls on three sides. The front wall consists of the pillared arcade. The Market Colonnade is decorated with various motifs of the lace, carved in wood. Interesting is also the relief depicting the legend of the discovery of Karlsbad (Karlovy Vary), placed above the vase of the Charles IV Spring.
|The Market Spring
|Since its discovery in 1838, the spring disappeared and reappeared several times. There were several boreholes drilled, thanks to which the today’s doctors are able to prescribe its water for drinking cures.|
|The Charles IV Spring
|The curative abilities of this spring may have contributed to the decision of the Emperor Charles IV to build a spa here. The discovery of Karlsbad (Karlovy Vary) is attested by the relief placed above the spring.|
The photos were taken from www.kvpoint.cz - the databank of photographs of the Region of Karlovy Vary.
Choose from a wide selection of accommodation in Karlovy Vary »
Address: Tržiště 19, Karlovy Vary
Virtuální infocentrum Karlovy Vary
363 01 Ostrov
Tel.: +420 773 378 559